Sunday, December 8, 2013

Finals Study Tips


It's Finals Week.
Naturally, there will be no DIY this week because um...finals and such...
BUT...
I have some study tips/advice or whatever.
Take 'em or leave 'em, being that this is my 7th finals week (and we're not counting the three summer sessions I've had),  I like to think I've had some worthy finals studying experiences.
That being said, here's how Neffie does her Finals Week.

Write Everything You Have to Do Out

This might seem intimidating at first, but once you look at your list of what to do and break it down between the days and hours you have to study, finals week can appear less intimidating. Unless, of course, you've slacked all quarter long, then, your list might appear overwhelming, to which, I have to sadly say, you're on your own for that one.

Eat Well

Just because it's finals week doesn't give you an excuse to starve yourself. There's a reason why they used to give us all snacks before we took our California State Tests in elementary and middle school- you'll be more focused and awake if you've had something to eat. If you're headed to the library, make sure to pack something to eat, bonus points if your snacks are healthier. Chips and gummy bears might be tasty, but they're not going to hold you over for long or make you feel very good. Snack choices that are easy to pack and eat are trail mix (preferably one with less salt and a higher nut to dried fruit/chocolate pieces. I tend to make my own mix of almonds, walnuts and chocolate chips), apples and peanut butter (apples have sugar and natural caffeine to help wake you up and peanut butter is protein packed to help sustain you), banana and peanut butter sandwich (better for you than a pb&j), a classic cheese and veggie patty or cheese and meat sandwich , qunioa (a grain with all essential proteins. It's easy to make and keeps well in a container. You can throw in any veggies for it to make it more like a meal. I recommend making it with veggie or chicken broth for extra tasty points), cheese sticks, carrot sticks, bagel with cream cheese and veggies, yams (maybe an odd snack choice, but you can make one in a microwave on high for 4 minutes. They're super tasty all by themselves and they fill you up pretty well), yogurt, and granola bars (but be careful with these- look for ones with lower sugar and higher amounts of protein.) Also, I tend to bring up a "treat" for myself, whether that be a chocolate bar or a few cookies because, hey, it's finals week and I want a treat.

Actually Get Sleep

I know, this one may seem impossible, but if all you're doing is studying and not sleeping, you're going to retain less than someone who got a good night sleep, even if they studied for less hours than you. Check out this short article of a UCLA Study done on academic success based on studying more and sleeping less.

Make Sure to Take a Break

Really. Do something you like or do something that requires very little brain power. This blog post right now? It's part of my 15 minute study break I have allotted myself. It's fun to write a post and I'm currently enjoying myself, which is nice. I plan to work on this more since my time is almost up when my next break rolls around after studying some more. Then, maybe I'll work on my zine, or go outside to practice ollies since I get fidgety if I sit too long. Basically, I'm going to keep myself happy and motivated to study today by taking breaks. I didn't use to take breaks and would just study for hours and hours on end, but I found that at the end of the day, it felt like I hadn't covered much and I felt frustrated and sad. Since I started taking breaks, studying seems less intimidating and I'll keep my motivation up over the course of the week. Think that breaks are crazy? Check out this study on the correlation of retaining information and taking breaks.

Change Up Where You Study

I get bored if I study in one place for too long. Sometimes I'll go to 3 different places a day to study (like, the library, my room and a coffee shop). Psychologists have found that a change of location can even boost your productivity and retention of information.

Manage Your Time

Set aside time for things other than studying such as eating, sleep, breaks, and normal people things (like brushing your teeth and showering). And please, don't feel guilty about not studying while doing such things. You're a person who has needs other than studying. If you have trouble managing time, there's this app for iphones called 30/30 that allows you to create list of each task you have to do. It allows you to add time to each task (ie: Study Genetics -45 minutes) and then "bings" at the end of each task and then moves onto the next task on your list (Take a Break- 15 minutes). You can even color code and add little pictures to each task and create different task lists. It's a pretty awesome productivity app, oh, and it's free.

Reward Yourself at the End of Finals

It doesn't have to be a lot, but you should have some sort of pot of gold at the end of the dreary finals week rainbow. Having something to look forward to at the end of the week can be a great motivator. Actual treats I have rewarded myself with at the end of finals week have included The Walking Dead Volume 1, a concert ticket to Andrew Bird, Harold and Maude DVD, a fancy tea at my favorite tea house in Santa Cruz, a new succulent, and a book on Bats of North America. My most expensive "present" was the Andrew Bird ticket, but most of my gifts to myself aren't more than $20. I purposefully set aside $30 at the beginning of each quarter just for this and since I don't splurge that often on random whatever, it's truly rewarding. If you don't want to spend any money, that's fine, motivate yourself with "free" or near free treats such as watching that one movie on netflix you've always wanted to watch or hiking that one trail you've always wanted to hike. Point is, treat yourself at the end of finals week, it was a stressful quarter and an even more stressful week, you deserve it.

Laugh

The final (ha) tip I have for you- laugh. It relieves stress, boosts your immune system and increases your mood among other benefits. Those breaks that are so important? Read a comic, watch a funny youtube video, have a tickle fight with the person sitting next to you in the library, do something to make you laugh. I like to read Calvin and Hobbes before each midterm and final to help me relax because it makes me giggle, and I read it during breaks when I'm studying for the same reason. It makes me less stressed and happy which leads to a more productive Natalie. I've included some short (less than 2 minutes) youtube videos that will hopefully make you giggle loudly in the library, which will encourage other people to giggle and create a happier, more productive place to study.

Cat Making Weird Noises

Lil' Bub

Frog or Squeaker Toy?

Reginald

Poor Ducks...

Cat Jump

Wrecking Ball ft. Nick Cage

Game of Hearts

True Facts about the Tarsier  (15 seconds over my 2 minute limit)

Goat Trouble

Joffrey Slap

Ticklish Camel

 How Animals Eat

Patience Test

Ron and The Glove Box

Horse Power

Room For Sax

The last three are Dodge Durango Commercials...but they're hilarious...trust me.

Love,

          Neffie


2 comments: