Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spring Break Scones! (+ Cedar's gone and I climbed a waterfall with Mary)

Annnnnnndddd we're back!
And by back, I mean, I am back, writing this, for your entertainment.
That's all I have to say about that subject anyways.
Spring quarter already has me swamped with school work and work work and Cloud 9 still won't give me back my social time with non-a'cappella people, but hey, life is pretty darn good.
EXCEPT...
that Apartment 402's very wonderful Cedar has ABANDONED Courtney and I for the Sierra Institute, which is basically backpacking and getting school credits for 10 weeks, or all of Spring quarter. Gone are the days of long nights almost catching the house on fire and nakie photoshoots and talks of best lesbian tourist destinations.
Courtney and I miss Cedar :(
Don't worry though,
you haven't seen the last of Cedar.
Also I want to apologize for the last posts because, let's face it,
the last few posts have not exactly been DIY, they have actually been rather boring or annoying to read, and I apologize.
Please accept my apology in the form of this scone recipe from The Village Baker's Wife Cookbook.
They're delicious and while at home for Easter, my father and I made some.
My parents don't understand the importance of pictures with my recipes and DIY projects, so please excuse the sub-sub-par quality, which is normally just sub-par.

SCONES

Ingredients for Scones:

2 cups of flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
1.5 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cup chilled, unsalted butter

Egg Glaze (optional):

1 large egg
1 tsp water


Actually making scones:

Preheat that oven to 350 degrees F, home skillz!
Using a food processor fitted with a metal blade if you're lacking arm strength or your finely toned arm muscles and hands if you want to flaunt your mixing strength, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together and pulse/stir to combine ingredients. 
Mix that creamy cream cream, egg, vanilla and winning lemon zest in a different bowl and set that sucker aside.
Cut up dat butter into little 1/2 cubey cubes and sprinkle them over the flour mixture. Pulse or stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then, add the cream mix and pulse/stir to combine. If you'd like to add currants or nuts or some healthy dope shiz, now is the time. Don't over mix though, homie. You'll get tough biscuits instead of moist scones.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, such as a lightly floured cutting board, which I recommend. Oh, and allso, flour your dainty lil' hands. With your flourly hands, gently pat that ball of tasty scone dough into an 8 inch circle. Then, grab your favorite knife, and cut that sucker up into 8 equal pieces. One for each day of the week. The last one can be given to the person in your life who bothers you the least, or your closest friend, assuming you even have friends. 
If you'd like to make the egg glaze, do it now. Whisk the egg and water together in an elf sized bowl and using a pastry brush or your really clean new watercolor brush, coat them scones. 
Place your soon to be masterpieces on an ungreased baking sheet and bake them on the center rack for 19-22 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and if you insert a toothpick or very thin chopstick into the center, it should come out clean.
Let those tasty suckers cool on the baking sheet or a wire rack for about 5 minutes. Then proceed to hork them down before you have to share them with everyone you know.
That's how you makes scones.
Get creative and use this recipe as a basis, try blueberry or orange or whatever the heck you'd like, I'm not your mother. Do what you want, just don't burn down the house.

Love, 

         Neffie

Oh, and I went to Yosemite for spring break and climbed Upper Yosemite Falls with this kid named Mary who I've known for a very long time. I would even consider her a real life friend.  It was awesome and I wanted to share that with all of you. 
Base of the waterfall.



Top of the waterfall.



That is all for realz until next time.
If you even read next time (which should be sometime between Saturday-Monday).
Whatever.
You do you, home skillz.


No comments:

Post a Comment